Causes and treatment of lice in children
Lice is a type of small insect that nestles in the hair and lays its eggs near the scalp. Lice is not a serious problem among children and its treatment is even simpler than we can imagine!
But before we get to the details of the treatment of lice in children, it is necessary that we to quickly give a recap of its causes and prominent symptoms.
Causes of Lice
Our children can catch lice by:
- Their hair coming in contact with the hair of an infected child.
- Wearing the clothes of a child infected with lice.
- Wearing the hat of a child infected with lice.
- Using the hair brush of a child infected with lice.
- Sleeping in a place where a child who’s infected with lice has been sleeping.
Symptoms of Lice
- Feeling uncomfortable as if something is moving inside the hair.
- Itching in different parts of the scalp.
- Appearance of sore wounds in the scalp due to scratching.
- Appearance of white lice eggs stuck to the hair close to the scalp.
- Appearance of live lice on the scalp and hair strands.
Treatment Methods for Lice
Below are some suggested methods for treatment of lice in children.
The first option requires applying lice medicine on the hair, combing it with the thin metal comb intended for this purpose and leaving it to soak for one full day. Repeat the process every other day for 3 weeks.
The second option is to use a lice medicine on the child's head without combing it. This type of chemical medicine is available in the form of shampoo, gel, mousse, cream or any other hair-care product.However, it is very necessary to strictly follow the instructions for use in order to avoid any damage that can result from it.
The third option requires combing the hair with a thin metal comb specially designed for lice without resorting to any medicinal treatment.
And in order for us to choose the correct and most suitable method for our kids, it is necessary to ask a doctor about the medicines used for the treatment of lice to make sure that it’s safe to use on our little ones’ hair strands and sensitive scalps.